Recent ZDnet article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-software-robots-changing-outsourcing-up-to-60-percent-of-the-tasks-can-be-automated/ is dedicated to the problem of software robots.
Romanian startup http://www.uipath.com is creating “robots” for http://www.uipath.com/automate/desktop-automation, it is automation of repetitive office computer work. Their name UiPath is similar to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPath language for addressing elements of webpage, so it suggests ability to address elements of desktop user interface with similar ease. This task can be achieved:
- by accessing, organizing and exporting desktop through underlying
- or it can be achieved using robust (but hard) image processing approach.
- Desktop automation can be extended to reach phone calls or other
Automation can be achieved:
- programmaticaly using API for access to the desktop,
- by copying exactly what is user doing,
- or, we suggest, by learning from user sessions.
ZDnet thinks that software robots bussines will reach $5mld in 2020. http://www.irpanetwork.com/benefits-of-rpa which covers the software robots domain suggests that using software robots can reduce costs by 50% compare to offshore employees. Also, it can increase speed of processing, reliability, and 24/7/365 availability. And, many tasks can be automated from now on…